Do Charity Sweepstakes Really Help Charities?
Charity sweepstakes are no stranger to non-profit organizations, but their popularity is growing—and it’s no wonder why! A charity sweepstakes not only helps to increase donations for charities,but it also increases awareness of the cause.
While a charity sweepstakes may be run by the charity itself, many successful charity sweepstakes are run by external organizations. This is because an external organization can typically dedicate more resources to the sweepstakes. This usually results in more marketing, bigger prizes, smoother entry technology and operations, and more focused customer support than is usually possible at non-profits.
But do external charity sweepstakes really help charities? The short answer is yes! The long answer is yes, but for more reasons than you think!
Charity Sweepstakes Help Increase Donations
Charity sweepstakes can often reach people who otherwise may not have contributed to a specific charity. This may be due to not knowing about the charity, not having any interest in donating cash at that time, feeling like it may be too much effort to donate, or simply not having charity on the mind. Charity sweepstakes also often reach people who may only have small increments of cash to donate.
Charity sweepstakes are able to reach these individuals for a few different reasons:
- They have a low barrier to entry. Donations or purchases as low as $10 can often be sufficient for entering a charity sweepstakes. This helps it feel accessible to people who otherwise may not have felt comfortable writing a check for lower amounts directly to the charity.
- They’re fun and engaging! If people are too busy or unmotivated to donate, a charity sweepstakes can provide a fun opportunity to make donating more enjoyable. This can help reach people who may otherwise have been disinterested in donating.
- It’s easy to gift charity sweepstakes entries. Many of our customers add to their initial purchases or donations to provide a gift to friends or family.This often increases the amount of their original donation while providing a meaningful gift to a loved one.
Charity Sweepstakes Increases Awareness
While cash donations are an important contribution to charity, another benefit is the buzz a sweepstakes creates.
Sweepstakes are fun and exciting! They typically include big prizes (like this $1 Million charity sweepstakes giveaway). These big giveaways tend to generate a lot of excitement on social media and often get attention from local news stations and newspapers. As any non-profit charity knows, the more people know about your charity, the better!
Here are a few other ways charity sweepstakes increase awareness:
They’re a Great Conversation Starter
It’s easy (and fun!) to tell friends and family about the amazing prize you won or are entered to win through a charity sweepstakes. To make a bigger impact, don’t just enter the sweepstakes; also share the sweepstakes with friends and family!
They Increase “Touchpoints”
“Touchpoints” is a sales or marketing term for how many times a person is exposed to a certain brand or organization. In charity, the more times a person sees or thinks about a charity, the more likely they are to do something to help that charity!
With charity sweepstakes, people aren’t just writing a check and forgetting about it. Many charity sweepstakes have multiple giveaways all year long, which means people will be reminded of the charity each time a new winner is announced.
They Are Fun & Shareable
Because of the excitement that is generated during giveaways, charity sweepstakes tend to be an effective way to spread the word about a certain charity.
A charity sweepstakes organization’s main goal is to bring donations and awareness to their charity of choice, which means they’re always sure to make sure that the charity shares the limelight with the sweepstakes.
This means that each social media share,press appearance, YouTube video, and article also includes information about the charity. This exposure can be invaluable in helping increase awareness about a charity.
How to Make Sure a Charity Sweepstakes Actually Benefits Charity
How can you make sure that the charity sweepstakes you’d like to enter actually benefits a charity?
- Make sure the charity sweepstakes says exactly which charities they donate to. If they are ambiguous or don’t give details, keep digging.
- Look for what percentage of the net proceeds go to the actual charity. While a sweepstakes will need some portion of funding for operations, you’ll likely want to find a sweepstakes that donates at least 50% of their net proceeds to charity. (At Shop4Charity we donate 75%!)
- Look for the official use of the charity logo. Some phony sweepstakes will use names, seals, or logos that are similar to respected, legitimate charitable organizations hoping to fool you. However, a sweepstakes that is officially affiliated with a charity will most likely have gotten permission to use the actual charity’s logo.
Are you ready to participate in your first charity sweepstakes? Explore some of our Calendars for a Cause sweepstakes! Each of our sweepstakes supports breast cancer charities including the Canadian Breast Cancer Network.
How to calculate and improve your odds of winning in a charity sweepstakes
Easy ways to raise breast cancer awareness in your community and make a difference.
Learn how charity sweepstakes help charities and things to know before you enter!
Learn how charity sweepstakes work and why they're a great way to make a difference.